Remember when I said in my Whole Grain Pasta Salad post that spring was in the air? Well, I must have been seriously day dreaming. Even as I write this, large fluffy flakes of snow are falling out my front window. The walkway already looks like it had never been cleared, and the snow is expected to continue throughout the night. Good thing I didn’t find a grill I liked enough to buy this weekend.
I’m always exploring new ways to use my excess French bread. This recipe was no exception. The combination of the pear and gorgonzola cheese works perfectly with the lightly toasted multi-grain slices of bread. The honey gives a hint of sweetness, while the red pepper flakes offers a kick of heat with each bite.
- 14-16 slices multi-grain French bread
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced
- 3 oz. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbl. honey
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil and evenly space on a sheet pan. Toast in the oven for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Layer each slice with gorgonzola cheese and 1 – 2 pear slices. Toast for an additional 2 – 3 minutes, or until the cheese has softened. Drizzle each with honey and sprinkle with red pepper flakes before serving.